Saturday, July 30, 2016

Bob Piper's Corner March 23, 1986

March 23, 1986 
How I kept from being lonely and still do. First I took to writing letters, eighty-five to ninety-five a year. This was outside of my own family. Most of these letters went to people that had a death in the family, or sickness. The church had a program called, “Talk With Your Neighbor.” This prompted me to call three or four people a week. I still do these things. I found, too, that people I had written to had in turn written to others as well as to me. That is what makes this all worthwhile. I dream of writing a book about ideas for people who have been left alone in life.

Railroading from 1900 to 1950 is a big thing with me. That was the steam era. The interest in this era is great right here in Chariton. Both men and women who lived in this time really like to reflect back to these days.

My library of books and pictures grows each week. It is a nice hobby. Ruth and myself studied and watched birds for forty-nine years. We started many people in this field and these people in turn started others. I answer lots of questions and in turn learn more myself. We did the same about flowers. This hobby is rather dormant just now, but with the coming of trillium before long, it will start all over.

I work a long day but I love every minute of it. People are great. I find time to ride on Sunday p.m. with George Dunshee. After all is said and done I think I get the most satisfaction and enjoyment from a forty-five minute Bible study class on Sunday a.m. than anything else I do. Never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment